Indoor Electrical Safety
Never put anything metal into a toaster! Electricity can travel through the metal and into you. If toast gets stuck, unplug the toaster first and let it cool down before removing the toast.
Water and Electricity can be shocking!
Water can carry electricity, so keep electric appliances and cords away from water. Make sure your hands are dry before you touch anything electrical, even if you think it's turned off.
Do not put too many plugs in an outlet. When younger children are in your home make sure all unused electric outlets have safety caps. Do not put anything in electric outlets except safety caps or plugs.
Extension Cords and Appliance Cords
Discard or replace a cord that is broken. Never put extension cords under rugs, and keep them away from water, heat or metal pipes. Pull on the plug (not on the cord!) when you unplug something.
In Case of Fire - Be Prepared!
Every home should have smoke alarms, fire extinguishers and an emergency escape plan. If a fire does happen, get out of the house right away and do not go back inside. Call 911.
Electrical Fire Prevention - Keep Fires From Starting
Keep anything that can burn away from light bulbs or heaters. Buy one multipurpose or "ABC" fire extinguisher and make sure you learn how to use it.
Holiday Safety - Keep The Holidays Happy
Always turn off holiday lights and put out burning candles before your family leaves home or goes to bed. Keep trees, boxes and wrapping paper away from anything hot such as heaters, toasters and light bulbs.
|Stay away from downed power lines!|
Outdoor Electrical Safety
Tree Safety - Play Safely Around Trees!
Allow your children to climb trees only where there are no overhead lines nearby. Contact your PUD before cutting trees near overhead lines.
Fallen Lines - Stay Away!
If you see a fallen or low-hanging line, stay away. The line can injure or kill you, even if it's not sparking. Call 911 or the PUD right away.
Flying Toys - Fly Them Far From Overhead Lines.
Kites, balloons or model airplanes that touch overhead lines can cause shocks or fire. Use them only in safe places like parks, beaches or open fields far away from overhead lines.
Substations - Stay Away!
Substations have a lot of electric equipment inside that is dangerous to touch. If a ball or toy goes into a substation, call the PUD. NEVER try to get it yourself!
Pad-Mounted Transformers - Do Not Sit or Play on Them!
Pad-mounted transformers are metal boxes with electric equipment inside that is dangerous to touch. If you see one that is unlocked, keep away and call the PUD immediately.
Underground Lines - Call Before Digging!
Some power lines are buried under the ground. Anyone who touches an underground line could be seriously injured or killed. Before digging, visit the Call Before You Dig website for more information.
Utility Poles and Towers - Stay Away!
Overhead lines carry a lot of electricity and are dangerous to touch. Never throw things at or climb on utility poles or towers. Keep antennas and ladders at least 10 feet away from all overhead lines.
Portable Generators and Safety
Some customers rely on portable generators for back up power. Although they may be convenient, if installed improperly they can also be very dangerous. Follow these safety rules when using portable generators:
Never plug a portable generator into a home outlet or connect it with house wiring. When a generator is plugged into house wiring it creates "back feed" that energizes dead lines. Electricity created form the generator travels back ward through the lines to crews trying to restore power. Not only can this damage equipment, but more importantly this creates a life-threatening hazard to employees or anyone who comes in contact with the line. Have a licensed electrician install the generator for you. Qualified electricians will use a transfer switch so that generator is isolated from PUD lines and does not cause back feed.
Plug appliances directly into the generator and know its limit. Most generators are intended to supply only enough power to get you by until the electricity is back on. Use generators for minimal lighting and cooking, and use heavy-duty, outdoor rated cords with gauges. Never use a generator indoors or in attached garages. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can result from the engine emissions. Make sure your generator is in a well-ventilated, dry area away from home air-intakes and direct exposure to rain and snow.
PUD crews work to restore power after an outage as quickly and as safely as possible. If you must use a portable generator we ask that you follow all manufacturer's codes and guidelines to ensure your safety and the safety of our crews.